How not to design a website
Here's how most businesses go about designing a website to generate sales leads.
- They see a few sites they like.
- They commission a designer to build them a new one based on what they've seen and what the designer wants
- They spend a lot of money - especially if the designer really insists on using Flash animations and so
- They make the new site live.
- Finally they find out if the site is any good at generating sales leads.
Here's how you should design a website.
- Set up a range of different style landing pages and throw targeted traffic at them from AdWords. This is a
low cost thing to do.
- Measure the outcome in terms of how effective each different page is at generating sales leads by using
conversion tracking or Google Analytics.
- Identify which style of landing page works best.
- Build the rest of the new site using that tried and tested style.
- Continue to test small changes in the landing page as part of your on-going web optimisation